Spectacular scenery can be found right across the island however it is the southern coastline that displays some truly picturesque landscapes with rolling terrain leading into pure white sand beaches of the southern coastline, providing spectacular vistas.
Most of the surf breaks in Lombok suit beginner to intermediate surfers except the most famous of them all “Desert Point” out on the south-west tip. Desert point has been labelled the best wave in the world by some and suits the most experienced surfers only. It has been responsible for a lot of life-threatening injuries all too frequently!
Although Lombok neighbours the westernised hustle and bustle of Bali it is very different. Often overshadowed by Bali it actually works in its favour. Unspoiled beaches and much less commercialisation the island still possesses the raw beauty that has been lost in Bali, although Lombok is generally regarded as of lower quality and intensity than Bali’s surf spots.
Kuta Lombok is the most central base for surfers, however, to reach the range of surf spots some travel is involved whether it be a small drive by road or a required boat journey to access some surf breaks. You will be able to find out everything you need to know in the breakdown of each wave below.
LOMBOK SURF BREAKS
Access Our Exclusive Members-Only Content
Unlock the Spot Finder, all Spot Guides, Member Perks and more.
SURFING IN Lombok
BEST BEGINNER SPOTS
The channel is to the right of the wave so catching the right brings you straight back to the channel and to a quick paddle back out, which is great for beginners.
Inside Right - Gerupuk
BEST INTERMEDIATE SPOTS
Outside Right - Gerupuk
BEST ADVANCED SPOTS
Download for free
The Exclusive Guide To Accommodation
For Surfers Travelling To Indonesia
Where should I stay in Lombok for surfing?
Is Lombok worth visiting for surf?
- Surf spots in Lombok are not as crowded as in Bali, and there are at least a dozen waves within an hour drive of Kuta Lombok.
- There is excellent surf year-round with a variety of waves to suit the change in trade winds from predominantly north-westerlies in the wet season (October-April) and south-easterlies in the dry season (April-October).
- Although Lombok and Bali are similar sizes, Lombok has more coastline that faces directly towards the main swell direction.
- Get to know the locals, and they may share some of the many secret spots with you.
When is the best time to visit Lombok for surf?
What are the typical costs per night for accommodation in Kuta Lombok?
There has been a lot of growth in the number of villas built in the area. Ranging from simple bungalows or cottages starting at around $25USD/night to upwards of one thousand dollars per night for brand new luxury villas with amazing views. Most can be found on Airbnb.
On average, expect to pay approximately:
- $18USD/night for a homestay.
- $50USD/night for a hotel.
- $90USD/night for a villa.
How do I book long term accommodation in Lombok?
- These days, many owners in Lombok demand a large chunk of the payment upfront.
- Always negotiate any upfront rental payments, including maintenance and utilities.
- Airbnb is the best way to go for weekly and monthly stays. Some monthly stays in Lombok receive a discount of up to 50%!